News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead


Well the Rupert Murdoch scandal has claimed it’s first victim with Sean Hoare, who blew the whistle on the phone hacking scheme. This story is the stuff of murder mystery novels, and not for one minute should we believe this was a suicide.  It’s also a pattern revealing one more name to add to the long list of whistleblowers meeting an untimely death. There are too many loose ends, unanswered questions  surrounding the death of Hoare.

If he committed suicide, why the call to police from someone with “concerns for the welfare of the man” living at the address and who was this person? Most people who commit suicide are found dead after the fact.  Why the “unexplained” delay in forensics officers arriving on the scene? Why two ambulances, Hoare’s live in girlfriend was away on holiday – did they ‘expect’ to find two bodies? Why did they remove his laptops computer and bags of stuff that were taken from his apartment? Don’t forget that the police are also implicated by Sean Hoare as accomplices to the phone hacking claims, so they have a vested interest in covering up this crime.

With luck more people will come forward with evidence, but this was likely a warning to others who are thinking about talking to keep their mouths shut, or they’ll end up like Sean. When the police are in on the crimes witness’s can’t even be guaranteed protection in witness protection programs. So the plot thickens, here’s the latest on the story….

Death of Sean Hoare – who was first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson knew of hacking – not being treated as suspicious

guardian.co.uk, Monday 18 July 2011 18.04 BS

Sean Hoare

Hoare first made his claims in a New York Times investigation into the phone-hacking allegations at the News of the World. Photograph: Hazel Thompson/Eyevine

Sean Hoare, the former News of the World showbusiness reporter who was the first named journalist to allege that Andy Coulson was aware of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead .

Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, was said to have been found at his Watford home.

Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but said in a statement: “At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

“The death is currently being treated as unexplained but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing.”

There was an unexplained delay in the arrival of forensics officers at the scene.

Neighbours said three police cars and two ambulances arrived at the property shortly before 11am. They left around four hours later, around 3pm, shortly after a man and a woman, believed to be grieving relatives, arrived at the premises. There was no police presence at the scene at all for several hours.

The curtains were drawn at the first-floor apartment in a new-build block of flats.

At about 9.15pm, three hours after the Guardian revealed Hoare had been found dead a police van marked “Scientific Services Unit” pulled up at the address, where a police car was already parked. Two officers emerged carrying evidence bags, clipboards, torches and laptop-style bags and entered the building. Three officers carrying cameras and wearing white forensic suits went into the flat at around 9.30pm.

Hoare was in his mid-40s. He first made his claims in a New York Times investigation into the phone-hacking allegations at the News of the World. He told the newspaper that not only did Coulson know of the hacking, but he also actively encouraged his staff to intercept the calls of celebrities in the pursuit of exclusives.

Continued here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare